Thursday, February 7, 2013

Oslob Day 2 - Of early mornings, dirty faces, and sunrise :)

Day 2  (February 3) started pretty early - for some of us, at least. Those who had retired to bed right after the night swim a few hours back (joining those who did not join in on the fun) woke up in turns in the wee hours of the morning, while those who stayed up to drink and play some more finally went to sleep.

Now for this trip, there were 24 of us, plus one baby (Lyle's). Though Marseh did go home by 6:30PM so she didn't spend the night there, you might be wondering how we managed to fit in the bedrooms.

We didn't. Those who couldn't find any place on the beds slept wherever they could, making use of whatever cushions they could put their hands on. More on that later.

I wasn't really aware of how everyone managed to find a place to sleep since I was dozing away, but after having woken up at half past 2 AM by a loud (therefore drunk) Richie diving on the bed between me and Airene, I couldn't really go back to sleep. Richie did get up barely a minute later (after Aris asked him where he was going to sleep if Richie took the space on the bed), saw Ken all alone on the top bunk, and promptly declared it as an "Oi! ASG STATION!" (Ken is the ASG for our team) before climbing up - still noisily - to join Ken on the top bunk. A few minutes later, Ken's phone went tumbling down to the floor, which finally did it for me and had me getting up to find out how the others were doing outside.

What greeted me was an almost non-recognizable living room/kitchen area!

Topsy turvy!
What was once a clean and spacious living/kitchen/dining area had turned topsy turvy in everyone's attempt to find a place to lie on and sleep.

Another detail to note was how the guys' faces were all dirtied by lines and scribbles from the left over coal from the grill. I guess they were too drunk to notice that their faces were being used as scratch paper hahaha!

The culprits didn't go unscathed, though, for as soon as they hit the sack, those who had awoken, or who had yet to sleep but just came back from night exploring (ahem, Aris and Jackie) drew marks on their faces and backs as well! It was funny, and I couldn't wait until they woke up and found out haha!
War paint? Haha
Second round of documentation. Different positions, new locations. Lol.




Meanwhile, those of us who were already awake sat around the square table out by the seawall. Drinks were passed around (again), not minding that it was barely 3AM and we had just woken up. It was a cold night, but the waves crashing on the shore below was very relaxing.
Early morning meeting lol

I had several breakfasts that morning. The first one was when I just woke up, and looked for some leftovers from the night before. The second was when some other people who had just gotten out of bed started looking for some food, and thus cooked some eggs. Part 2 of the second breakfast was when Aris and Papang came back with some squid bought from a bangka that had just come in from a night out on the sea, cooked it, and served it piping hot. Ahh the difference between freshly caught squid and those that had been refrigerated for a while! And the third and official breakfast was when everyone was awake, and all the food was cooked and placed on the table for consumption. I love eating, ok? :P
First and second breakfasts! :D
The OFFICIAL breakfast at around 7AM :)
Calling the parents of the lost (dirty) child! Please claim him ASAP - he's raiding the pots and pans! Haha!




Before the final breakfast, we were hanging out by the seawall, waiting for the sun to rise. It was a long wait, and by 6AM, there was still no sun to speak off on the horizon.

Sunrise viewing deck!
Left, Right, Top :)
I got bored and went in to charge my camera for the whale shark swim later on, when suddenly, TM Kulas announced that the sun was finally rising and that it looked good. I didn't raise my hopes up, but as soon as I saw how big it had gotten in just a few seconds, I ran back in to get my camera, and took some pictures. I can't say I was satisfied, but it turned out pretty enough. :)
Sunrise @ Oslob

After breakfast (the official one, LOL), Pretzy, Ken, TM, and Marky were planning to go back to city ahead of everyone. I wasn't expecting that. But we couldn't stop them, so off they went. Those of us who stayed behind were divided into the Butanding group, and the stay-at-home group. The Butanding group went and swam with the whale sharks, while those who opted out of that activity stayed behind - and promptly went back to the city once we had gone. We only found out when we got back from the whale shark watching, and I was honestly pissed off to find that only Airene and Izzer stayed behind to wait for us. They said they had appointments to attend to back in the city, but I also had pre-scheduled activities to attend to back home but specifically told my friends that I would be late because of this team outing, so I couldn't understand why they couldn't just wait for us so we could go back together.

I guess I was one of the very few who were fully committed to this team GA, then. :P

This was the first team building I ever participated in that was this disorganized. It really felt like whatever progress we made as a team the day before went poof all of a sudden.

I got over it, though - a few days later hahaha! :P

Overall, it was really fun. Without a detailed itinerary, it was all laid back and stress-free. I love how it was just us whiling the time away far from the hustle and bustle of city life and night-shift schedules. Regardless of how it ended, it was a blast.

I would just not expect too much from the others the next time we have a team outing. :P

Check out my Butanding Experience! ^_^

No comments:

Post a Comment